Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Supplimental Produce for the Fall

At the beginning of the summer, Jacquie sent out tips for what to plant in your home garden to supplement/compliment what we members receive from the farm. Included in her list were lettuces, since they like the cooler temperatures we get down here in town.

As fall is coming, I thought I'd send a little reminder about this, since lettuces, spinach, and many other greens can be planted as fall crops in Colorado. The farmer's almanac is predicting that Colorado's first frost will be October 8th (or there abouts). And many sources recommend planting your fall crops three to four weeks before that date. This works out to be early to mid-September, and some crops could have already been planted in August.

I toured Rocky Mountain Seed Company in Denver last week, and learned about some of the best crops for Colorado in the fall. If you've saved seed from the springtime, or are making a trip to the garden center, be sure to add some of these varieties to your planting list:
  • Beets
  • Broccoli
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Cabbage
  • Collard Greens 
  • Kale 
  • Kohlrabi
  • Lettuce
  • Radishes
  • Spinach
  • Swiss Chard
We put in some extra beets, spinach, radishes and lettuce this weekend. Also, we've been growing Swiss chard and kale through out the summer. These greens make great additions to our farm share.

What about you?  Are you gardening?  Have you ever planted crops for the fall?  What do you plant?

2 comments:

  1. I know how to garden in Wisconsin, but am still figuring things out here in Denver. We planted peas yesterday with the hopes of getting a few to snack on when we rake up our maple leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a community garden plot in addition to a garden at our home. At the community garden, I have given up trying to keep plants alive once the night time temperatures start going down. I pulled up my tomato plants and dug my potatoes in early September. From Rocky Mountain Seed Company, I bought winter rye and Austrian Winter Peas as nitrogen fixers to hold moisture in my soil over the winter, loosen the soil, and keep the weeks down in the spring. I planted the seeds about the third week in September. Water is being turned off at the community garden this week, so I needed to get the rye and peas germinated and watered in prior to that. The rye came up first, and when I was at the garden yesterday (10/7), I noted that the peas had started to emerge. Austrian Winter Peas are supposed to tolerate temps down to 10 degrees, so I hope they will keep growing for a while. I will probably mulch my plot with straw.

    At my home garden, I pulled up the tomatoes and peppers and planted a couple of types of lettuce, spinach and sugar peas (what an optimist!!) We've been having salads for about three weeks, but I mulched with straw and it is a pain in the butt to pick off the straw. I'm also trying to keep sweet and regular potatoes alive in a sheltered location next to the garage. In July, our aunt gave me some potatoes that had started sprouting in her potato bin, so I got off to a really late start. Soneone said that sweet potatoes take five months, so that means I have to keep them alive into November. Not sure that's going to work. If anybody knows about sweet potatoes and what about the plant says it is time to harvest, please let me know. I've never grown sweet potatoes before.
    Dianne Thiel

    ReplyDelete